Hi Lucian, Exceeding the cephfs quota seems to "upset" Windows: e.g. on the cephfs system # setfattr -n ceph.quota.max_bytes -v 1000 /ctestfs/quota And then on the Windows system PS Z:\Jake_tests> copy .\4GB_file X:\quota\ (Shell hangs) back on the cephfs system # setfattr -n ceph.quota.max_bytes -v 1000000000 /ctestfs/quota Shell (eventually) returns on Windows, after much CTRL+C I can then repeat the "copy .\4GB_file X:\quota\" successfully It would be ideal if Windows gave an error, such as "no space" or "out of quota" rather than hanging... thanks again for your work :) Jake On 2/25/21 10:51 AM, Lucian Petrut wrote:
Hi,
That’s great. I’ll push the user option setting ASAP.
About the quotas, you mean Windows quotas or Ceph quotas?
Regars,
Lucian
*From: *Jake Grimmett <mailto:jog@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> *Sent: *Thursday, February 25, 2021 11:37 AM *To: *Lucian Petrut <mailto:lpetrut@cloudbasesolutions.com>; dev@ceph.io <mailto:dev@ceph.io> *Subject: *Re: Windows port
Hi Lucian,
So I've now copied 32TB of data from a Windows server to our test ceph cluster, without any crashes.
Average speed over one 16TB copy was 468MB/s, i.e. just under 11 hours to transfer 16TB, with a data set that has 1,144,495 files.
The transfer was from Windows 10 server (hardware RAID) > Windows 10 VM (with the cephfs driver installed) > cephfs test cluster.
If you can get the user option working, I'll put the driver on a physical Windows 10 system, and see how fast a direct transfer is.
One other thing that would be useful, is over-quota error handling. If I try writing and exceed the quota, the mount just hangs.
If I increase the quota, the mount recovers, but it would be nice if we had a quota error in Windows.
Test cluster consists of 6 Dell C2100 nodes, bought in 2012. Each has 10 x 900GB 10k HDD, we use EC 4+2 for the cephfs pool, metadata is on 3 x NVMe. Dual Xeon X5650, 12 threads, 96GB RAM, 2x10GB bond. Ceph 15.2.8, Scientific Linux 7.9.
best regards,
Jake
On 2/23/21 11:49 AM, Lucian Petrut wrote:
Hi,
That’s great, thanks for the confirmation.
I hope I’ll get to push a larger change by the end of the week, covering the user option as well as a few other fixes.
Regards,
Lucian
*From: *Jake Grimmett <mailto:jog@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk <mailto:jog@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>> *Sent: *Tuesday, February 23, 2021 11:48 AM *To: *dev@ceph.io <mailto:dev@ceph.io <mailto:dev@ceph.io>>; Lucian Petrut <mailto:lpetrut@cloudbasesolutions.com <mailto:lpetrut@cloudbasesolutions.com>> *Subject: *Re: Windows port
Hi Lucian,
Good news - your fix works; I was able to write 7TB from a Windows 10 VM to cephfs last night.
I'll carry on testing the Windows client with large workloads using robocopy.
thanks again for working on this, a cephx "user" option should provide the core requirements we need for a usable system :)
best regards,
Jake
Note: I am working from home until further notice. For help, contact unixadmin@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk -- Dr Jake Grimmett Head Of Scientific Computing MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge CB2 0QH, UK. Phone 01223 267019 Mobile 0776 9886539
Note: I am working from home until further notice. For help, contact unixadmin@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk -- Dr Jake Grimmett Head Of Scientific Computing MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge CB2 0QH, UK. Phone 01223 267019 Mobile 0776 9886539