Maybe you're hitting issues configuring HugePages inside a VM? In any case, there's an #nvmeof Slack channel and the team is always quick to respond over there.

Kind Regards,
Ernesto


On Mon, Apr 13, 2026 at 11:36 AM Eugen Block <eblock@nde.ag> wrote:
Hi,

thanks for your quick response.

The reason I'm asking about iSCSI is because I have been able to 
deploy and use it in earlier releases (the last one was probably 
Pacific), but I'm struggling with deploying NVMe-oF in a virtual lab 
cluster. I haven't had the time to really dig into it yet, so there's 
definitely a knowledge gap I need to close. Until I made some progress 
with NVMe-oF I thought maybe iSCSI could still be used. The use case 
is to grant access to an air-gapped Ceph cluster.

Thanks!
Eugen

Zitat von Ernesto Puerta <epuertat@redhat.com>:

> Hey Eugen,
>
> AFAIK the Ceph NVMe-oF Gateway superseded the iSCSI one: it's actively
> maintained, more performant, scalable, secure and better integrated with
> the Ceph management & observability framework.
>
> I'm curious: what's the target platform/use case for iSCSI that NVMe/TCP
> cannot fulfill?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Ernesto
>
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2026 at 8:58 AM Eugen Block via ceph-users <
> ceph-users@ceph.io> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> could someone clarify if using iscsi via cephadm is still supported or
>> not? According to [0] it's "in maintenance" since November 2022, so no
>> active development. But it's still documented in all active releases
>> and can be deployed in Squid or Tentacle (though I haven't checked if
>> it actually works).
>> Is it still supported to use iSCSI?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Eugen
>>
>> [0] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rbd/iscsi-overview/#ceph-iscsi
>> _______________________________________________
>> ceph-users mailing list -- ceph-users@ceph.io
>> To unsubscribe send an email to ceph-users-leave@ceph.io
>>
>>